When you think of preparation for an emergency, one of your first questions will likely be “What should I pack away?” Other than your personal considerations, there are a few things that likely are important. Here is a non exhaustive list.
A good knife
Pliers. I recommend channel locks, as they easily double as pot handles
Some folks will include a multi tool, Leatherman, or my choice, SOG
Emergency candles – can also be used as Buddy Burner fuel.
- Water Purification Tablets
Should you decide to use bleach sealed in a straw tube, be aware this has only a limited storage safety window.
- Cordage and Tape
Paracord. There are many projects for lanyards, wraps, bracelets, etc. for paracord storage. My favorite Turk’s Head bracelet contains 18 feet of cord. Never off my wrist.
Fishing line. Remember that paracord contains seven strands of 35 lb test nylon within each ‘sheath’.
Tinder. See my page labeled FIRE.
- Pots, Mugs, Stoves, etc
- Space Blanket
- Poncho. For some not as fat as Bob, a large plastic garbage bag may suffice
- Food, as is possible to carry. Including condiments that may be stored in smaller containers or straw tubes.
- Tarp. Even the 5′ x 8′ tarp you get free at Harbor Freight will work. Set it up near or attached to your car. Consider that you may need poles and stakes.
- Prescription Meds.
You may be able to find individually packed Kleenex
- Don’t forget money, cash, cards, ID cards, etc.
- Basic First Aid Kit
Many of these will fit in smaller containers or straw tubes.
Triple antibiotic ointment
- Lets not forget your bugout plan.
Where will your family meet?
Who will be on your call list? and who will you call first?
You probably can think of different plans for different emergencies.
Have you reviewed all these with your family members?
- And, you should keep in mind the tendency we have to panic in these situations. Stay cool.
The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself, but the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences. – Proverbs 22:3